Saturday, November 14, 2009

Fear of the Lord

And the Lord appeared to him the same night and said, “I am the God of your father Abraham; do not fear, for I am with you. I will bless you and multiply your descendants for my servant Abraham’s sake.” Genesis 26:23-25 NKJV

Then they will call on me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently, but they will not find me. Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the Lord, They would have none of my counsel and despised my every rebuke. Proverbs 1:28-30 NKJV

The Bible tells us in many occasions not to fear the Lord, so why would the Bible also tell us to fear him?

But He said to them, “Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?” Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. Matthew 8:26 NKJV

The best passage I could find in regards to an answer to fear of the Lord is…
And he commanded them, saying, “Thus you shall act in the fear of the Lord faithfully and with a loyal heart: Whatever case comes to you from your brethren who dwell in their cities, whether of bloodshed or offenses against law or commandment, against statutes or ordinances, you shall warn them, lest they trespass against the LORD and wrath come upon you and your brethren. Do this, and you will not be guilty. 2 Chronicles 19:9-10 NKJV

So we act in fear of the Lord. It took me a long time to understand this for myself. You should not be fearful in the lord as an evil being. Think of the Lord as a court. Most people obey the Law because of the consequences. You screw up to bad you go to jail, that in it self keep most from committing crime. Now, understand that if you break the laws of the Lord you will no longer live. So, fear him as you would a police officer, do not fear the Lord like you would fear a bully.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you stated "think of the lord as a "court", obeying law bc of consequences- the way you should be obeying and "fearing the lord"

    ReplyDelete